Every Big Ten coordinator was likely drinking heavily on Thursday night as they watched Nebraska roll Kansas State and thought about chasing Nebraska's Taylor Martinez all over the field next year. Of course every Big Twelve defensive coordinator was likely drinking heavily as well...celebrating not having to stop Mr. Martinez in 2011.
Martinez completed five passes on Thursday night, and one even went for a touchdown...and he posted about 60 fantasy points. This will happen when you tote it 15 times for 241 yards and four scores. To put it another way, all five of those passes could have gone for 99-yard touchdowns and if he didn't run it once then he still wouldn't have surpassed his total from the other night.
I know you're thinking that this youngster has yet to face a really tough defense, and you're right. However a look at the Huskers' schedule shows that they will only face one (Texas) during the regular season. In other words, it's hard to see him slowing down.
And next year, when he does face some tougher defenses in the Big Ten, he'll have a year of experience under his belt and will have made great strides as a passer.
Martinez is the real deal.
11 Other Observations from a Season's Midpoint Week:
1. If Cameron Newton wins the Heisman then Urban Meyer's 2006 and 2007 recruiting class will have each featured a winner of that little award. Newton has posted three games with more than 50 fantasy points at the season's midpoint.
2. Stay on the Vick Ballard train, but just take a little nap during the Florida and Bama games. This JUCO should surpass 20 scores.
3. Bilal Powell will not face a defense that can shut him down completely this season. He's among the nation's most overlooked fantasy backs.
4. Now that's the Lennon Creer we were expecting to see.
5. Guess I shouldn't have relegated John Clay to the bench just yet, huh?
6. Why hello there Mr. Robert Woods.
7. Here is what Greg Salas has done over the last three weeks: 26 catches for 476 yards and seven scores. And he's not slowing down.
8. Well Noel Devine's toe injury only allowed him to carry it three times against UNLV. So he took two of those to the house and gained 84 yards. Now that's efficient.
9. Alshon Jeffery looks like the most NFL-ready wide receiver in the country.
10. I think everyone would have a great deal more respect for Bret Bielema (went for two late in Wisky's blowout win over Minnesota) if he would've just said, "He'll yeah I was rubbing it in. I hate those guys." However to say he was just following his stupid go-for-two chart means he's pretty much the dolt we all think he is.
11.Wonder if it's hard for Penn State fans to see Florida State dominate a talented Miami team one season after they unceremoniously dumped their legendary coach.